Internal Wet Areas - Liquid Membrane Systems
Product and System Installation Requirements
The installation of the Gripset waterproofing membrane system should be carried out in strict accordance with relevant, current Technical Data Sheet (TDS). All other materials used in conjunction with the membrane system must be compatible and approved by the manufacturer.
1. Substrate Preparation
Substrates to which the membrane is to be applied must be structurally sound and stable. All building surfaces which the membrane system is to be applied are to be installed as per manufacturers recommendations, in line with relevant building standards in force at time of the application. Surfaces must be smooth, dry and clean. Rough surfaces, voids, hollows and surface depressions to be evened or filled first and all brick/block surfaces to be pointed flush. All general surface defects including cracks to be filled and repaired – Refer to Gripset 11Y/DM repair mortar and Gripset SB Sealant. All surfaces are to be free of sharp protruding objects, loose material, de-bonded or existing coatings, curing membranes/agents, release agents, wax residues, foreign particles, laitance, algae and moss, grime, oils, animal fats, grease remains and any contaminants that could compromise the adhesion of the overlaid membrane system. Structurally unsound layers and surface contaminants are to be mechanically removed by abrasive blasting, blast tracking, grinding, high pressure cleaning or equivalent methods. Concrete to be cured for a minimum 28 days and screeds left to dry for at least 7 days prior to the membrane application. Leak control flanges are to be rebated into floor surface enabling lip of flange to sit flush with surrounding substrate.
2. Priming System Selection
Gripset GP Primer - General Purpose Primer for porous/absorbent surfaces. Apply 1 x coat by brush or roller at coverage of 1litre/6m²
Gripset OP Primer - Speciality primer for non-porous, smooth and dense surfaces. Apply by brush or roller at coverage of 1litre/10m²
Gripset H20 Primer - Single component primer for sealing cement based green substrates or surfaces with residual dampness. Apply 1 x coat by brush or roller at coverage of 1litre/6m².
Gripset E60 Primer - 2-part water based epoxy primer for sealing green substrates or surfaces with residual dampness and negative hydrostatic pressure. Apply 1 x coat by brush or roller at coverage of 1litre/3m²
- Apply primer to floors, over shower hobs and turn up at perimeter walls to 150mm
- Apply primer to shower walls to minimum 1800mm
- Apply primer to bath hobs and surrounding bath walls extending minimum 150mm above bath
- Apply OP primer to all PVC and metal fixtures, flanges and turn-ups of pipes/penetrations to where the membrane is to be applied, alternatively BRW PF detailing may be applied directly to porous materials without the use of OP primer
3. Detailing System Selection
Elastoproof B50 Joint Band: Elastic bond breaker joint band
Prefabricated Corners: Prefabricated 90° and 270 corners used with the Elastic Joint Band as the system bond breaker
Elastoproof Base Collars: Waterproof Elastic sleeves for sealing floor and wall penetrations
BRW PF Tape: Self-Adhering, Butyl Rubber, bond breaker Tape
BRW PF Squares: Self-adhesive butyl square for sealing floor wastes and leak control flanges
- Install Elastoproof Jointing Bands and Prefabricated Corners to perimeter wall/floor junctions or BRW PF Tape, extending membrane 150mm up walls
- Install Elastoproof Joint Bands or BRW PF Tape to internal shower wall/wall junction to a minimum height of 1800mm
- Install Elastoproof Base Collars over all wall penetrations including shower spindles, mixers and shower rose
- Install Elastoproof base Collars over all floor pipes, penetrations and general fixtures.
- Install BRW PF Tape Fabric over all floor sheeting abutments
- Install BRW PF Squares over all Puddle flanges.
- Elastoproof detailing items to be fixed to the substrate by embedding into a liberal, wet coat of liquid membrane.
4. Membrane System
Gripset 38 FC - Single component, Fast Cure, fibre reinforced SBR latex membrane
Gripset 2P - 2 component, latex cementitious membrane
- Apply membrane by brush or roller over primed areas to floors, shower hobs and shower walls
- Apply membrane to bath hobs and surrounding bath walls to 150mm above bath
- Dress membrane down into floor wastes and turn membrane up at and seal to floor and wall penetrations
- Extend membrane over horizontal leg of water stops and turn up the vertical face
- A minimum of 2 x coats is required to achieve the recommended coverage
Walls: Applied at a minimum 1litre/m² forming a 0.8mm dried film thickness Floors: Applied at 1.5litres/m² forming a 1.2mm dried film thickness
5. Screeding and Tiling recommendations
Gripset C-Bed: Pre-bagged, polymer enhanced screed Sand/cement screed Sand/cement screed at 3-4:1 ratio enhanced with Gripset 11Y Latex Bonding Agent. Use 1 part Gripset 11Y to 4 parts water as part of mixing liquid for screed.
IMPORTANT: All bonded screeds over membrane to be to polymer enhanced ensure optimum adhesion
Gripset C-Lite: White, Polymer modified C2S1TE class adhesive based on lightweight technology
Gripset C-Mastic: High strength, Polymer modified cement based meeting C2S1TE classification
Gripset C-Grout: Flexible, Polymer modified cement-based grout
IMPORTANT: Polymer modified tile adhesives must be used for direct fixing of tiles over Gripset wet area membranes All tiling to be carried out as per AS 3958.1 – 2007 "A Guide to Installation of Ceramic Tiles”