Planter Boxes - BRW HD Sheet Membranes
Product and System Installation Requirements
The installation of the Gripset waterproofing membrane system should be carried out in strict accordance with relevant current Technical Data Sheet (TDS). All other materials used in conjunction with the membrane system must be compatible and approved by the manufacturer.
1. Substrate Preparation
Substrates to which the membrane is to be applied must be structurally sound and stable. All building surfaces which the membrane system is to be applied are to be installed as per manufacturer's recommendations, in line with the relevant building standards in force at the time of the application. Surfaces must be smooth, dry and clean. Rough surfaces and voids to evened or filled first and all bricks/block surfaces to be pointed flush. All movement joints to be filled with appropriate compound. All general surface defects including cracks to be filled and repaired - refer to Gripset 11Y/DM repair mortar. All surfaces are to be free of sharp protruding objects, loose material, de-bonded or existing coatings, curing membranes/agents, release agents, wax residues, foreign particles, laitance, algae and moss, grime, oils, animal fats, grease remains and any contaminants that could compromise the adhesion of the overlaid membrane system. Structurally unsound layers and surface contaminants are to be mechanically removed by abrasive blasting, blast tracking, grinding, high pressure cleaning or equivalent methods. Concrete to be cured for a minimum of 28 days and renders left to dry for at least 7 days prior to the membrane application.
2. Priming System
Gripset E60 Primer: 2-part water based epoxy primer for sealing concrete substrates with rising damp or freshly poured concrete walls eg. "green concrete" must be prepared with Gripset E60. Apply 1 x coat by brush or medium/long nap roller at coverage of 1 litre/3m2.
- Apply primer to total floor and wall surfaces, extending to tops of walls 150mm above projected water level
- Apply primer to turnups of pipes, penetrations and fixtures
3. Detailing Stage
BRW Fillet - preformed self-adhering 45o filler designed for base junctions
BRW Fillet is recommended to be used at base of Planter Boxes over correctly prepared substrates. This preformed waterproof butyl fillet requires no drying and enables the BRW-HD sheet to be immediately applied over. Acting as both the bond breaker and a mechanism to prevent water ponding at critical junction areas. A cut 300mm strip of BRW HD may be applied over fillet prior to installation of full sheet of BRW-HD for easier detailing application.
Elastoproof B50 Joint Band: Elastic, rupture resistant joint band for use over control joints
Elastoproof B50 to be applied over engineered control/expansion joints where applicable prior to the installation of BRW HD system. Verification of expected movement is recommended. When required, install Elastoproof B50 joint bands to vertical and horizontal control joints to the substrate by embedding into a liberal, wet coat of C1P liquid membrane.
4. BRW HD Membrane System
BRW HD Membrane: Gripset BRW HD is a self-adhesive butyl rubber sheet membrane with a laminated high strength HDPE film face.
- Apply BRW HD sheet membrane vertically to total wall and floor surfaces extending to tops of walls above projected water line
- Place first sheet into position vertically and remove approximately 100-200mm of release paper from the rear butyl rubber side and tack onto surface
- Continue to slowly remove the rear release paper while the sheet is being unrolled an remove any creases or air bubbles with a flat trowel, heavy roller, dry sponge or float. Ensure that the sheet is well pressed at overlaps, corners, edges and termination points
- Prior to installing adjoining BRW HD sheet remove the release tape on the sealing strip and place the overlapping sheet onto this ensuring the overlapping sheet lines up along the guideline
- At pipe penetration BRW HD sheet is to be cut to enable the sheet to slide over penetrations to prepare for the BRW-Pipe detail seal. Please refer to the TDS for further detail
- Continue application of sheets until installation is complete
5. Detailing - Stage 2
BRW HD Tape: 70mm detailing tape for horizontal sheet joins and sheet ends between rolls, to seal overlapped sections where the BRW-HD sheet sealing strip cannot be used.
BRW PF: Self-adhesive butyl rubber sheet membrane with a polypropylene fabric facing that supports the application of surface finishes at top end termination point
- Install BRW HD Tape wall/wall junctions
- Install BRW HD Tape to seal overlapped sections where there is no sealing strip. Overlapping between sheets with the BRW-HD Tape should be a minimum of 50mm
- BRW PF is to continue from top of BRW HD and terminate to create a capping detail to then enable the direct application of surface finished (refer to BRW-PF TDS for surface finish information). A pressure seal detail is to be used at termination points where the BRW-HD sheet is to finish at soil lines with no vertical surface finish being incorporated, eg. exposed brick, stone etc.
6. Protection Board
BRW Sealing Strip: Waterproof double sided butyl adhesive tape for the secure installation of protection board
- Adhere BRW Sealing strip horizontally to top of planter wall where soil filling will terminate
- Apply 2 continuous vertical strips at end of planter walls where application of protection board will start, strips should be placed at the same width of protection board
- Remove release film and firmly press protection board in place
- Repeat process until walls are protected. Sealing strip may be used to overlap protection board