Planter Boxes - Gripset 51 Liquid Membrane
Product and System Installation Requirements
The installation of the Gripset waterproofing membrane system should be carried out in strict accordance with relevant, current Technical Data Sheet (TDS). All other materials used in conjunction with the membrane system must be compatible and approved by the manufacturer. The membrane system is to be installed in accordance with recommendations outlined in AS4654.2-2012.
1. Substrate Preparation
Substrates to which the membrane is to be applied must be structurally sound and stable. All building surfaces which the membrane system is to be applied are to be installed as per manufacturers recommendations, in line with relevant building standards in force at time of the application. Surfaces must be smooth, dry and clean. Rough surfaces, voids, hollows and surface depressions to be evened or filled first and all brick/block surfaces to be pointed flush. All movement joints to be filled with appropriate flexible sealant. All general surface defects including cracks to be filled and repaired – Refer to Gripset 11Y/DM repair mortar and Gripset SB Sealant. All surfaces are to be free of sharp protruding objects, loose material, de-bonded or existing coatings, curing membranes/agents, release agents, wax residues, foreign particles, laitance, algae and moss, grime, oils, animal fats, grease remains and any contaminants that could compromise the adhesion of the overlaid membrane system. Structurally unsound layers and surface contaminants are to be mechanically removed by abrasive blasting, blast tracking, grinding, high pressure cleaning or equivalent methods. Base of planters to have adequate falls to drainage, Concrete to be cured for a minimum 28 days and screeds left to dry for at least 7 days prior to the membrane application. Leak control flanges are to be rebated into floor surface enabling lip of flange to sit flush with surrounding substrate.
2. Priming System Selection
Gripset 51 diluted
3:1 mixed with water – for porous surfaces. Mix 51 with water until a smooth homogenous consistency is formed. Apply liberally to the total surface area by brush or roller Gripset 51 diluted 1:1 with water – for non porous surfaces. Mix 51 with water until a smooth homogenous consistency is formed. Apply liberally to the total surface area by brush or roller. Alternatively, Gripset OP Primer can be used
Gripset 11Y Slurry Primer
High bonding, textured primer for porous and non-porous substrates. Apply 1 x coat by brush or roller at minimum 1mm thickness
Speciality primer for non-porous, smooth and dense surfaces and fixtures Apply 1 x coat by brush or roller at coverage of 1litre/10m²
2-part water based epoxy primer for sealing green substrates or surfaces with residual dampness. Apply 1 x coat by brush or roller at coverage of 1litre/3m².
- Apply primer to total floor and wall surfaces, extending over wall onto capping sections
- Apply primer to all pvc and metal fixtures, flanges and turn-ups of pipes/penetrations to where the membrane is to be applied
Elastoproof B50 Joint Band: Elastic bond breaker joint band
Elastoproof Base Collars: Waterproof Elastic sleeves for sealing floor and wall penetrations
Elastoproof Butyl Squares: Self-adhesive butyl square for sealing floor wastes and leak control flanges
- Install Elastoproof Joint Band and Prefabricated Corners to perimeter wall/floor junctions and span length of vertical expansion/movement joints.
- Install Elastoproof Joint Band to perimeter wall/wall junctions
- Install Elastoproof Base Collars over all wall and floor pipes and penetrations. Alternatively, apply a liberal bead of Gripset SB Sealant to seal perimeter of pipes, penetrations and general fixtures.
- Install Elastoproof Butyl Squares over all floor wastes.
- Fix Elastoproof items to the substrate by embedding into a liberal, wet coat of liquid membrane.
4. Membrane System
Gripset 51 solvent free bitumen rubber liquid membrane
Coverage: Apply 2-3 coats by brush or roller at total minimum coverage of 2lt per m2 forming a 1.5mm dried film thickness
- Apply membrane to total floor and wall surfaces extending over walls onto capping sections
- Dress membrane down into floor wastes and turn membrane up at and seal to penetrations and fixtures
5. Membrane Curing
- Minimum 5 days before backfilling
6. Membrane Protection
- Prior to backfilling with aggregate or soil, polypropylene/corflute protection board is to be applied over membrane to total wall and floor surfaces
- Drainage cells and Geofabric systems to be installed over corflute protection sheeting as required
7. Flashing Details
- Protective metal flashing, textured finish or capping tile to be installed over membrane to capping sections of planter box