Balconies & Decks (10 Years) - Gripset BRW PFN
Product & System Installation Requirements
The installation of the Gripset waterproofing membrane system should be carried out in strict accordance with relevant, current Technical Data Sheet (TDS). All other materials used in conjunction with the membrane system must be compatible and approved by the manufacturer.
The membrane system is to be installed in accordance with recommendations outlined in AS4654.2-2012.
1. Substrate Preparation
Substrates to which the membrane is to be applicated must be structurally sound and stable. All building surfaces which the membrane system is to be applied are to be installed as per manufacturer's recommendations, in line with relevant building standard in force at the time of the application. Surfaces must be smooth, dry and clean. Rough surfaces, voids, hollows and surface depressions to be evened or filled first and all brick/block surfaces to be painted flush. All movement joints to be filled with appropriate flexible sealant. All general surface defect including cracks to be filled and repaired - Refer to Gripset 11Y/DM repair mortar and Gripset SB Sealant. All surfaces are to be free of sharp protruding objects, loose material, de-bonded or existing coatings, vuring membranes/agents, release agents, wax residues, foreign particles, laitance, algae and moss, grime, oils, animal fats, greases remains and any contaminants are to be mechanically removed by abrasive blasting, blast tracking, grinding, high pressure cleaning or equivalent methods. Concrete to be cured for a minimum of 28 days and screeds left to dry for at least 7 days prior to the membrane application. Leak control flanges are to be rebated into floor surface enabling lip of flange to sit flush with surrounding substrate.
2. Priming System
Priming is generally not required on metal, plastic and glazed surfaces that are clean, stable, free of residues, dry and mechanically sound
2-partwater based epoxy primer for sealing green substrates or surfaces with residual dampness. Apply 1 cost by brush or roller at coverage of 1 Litre/3m2.
Note: Glazed surfaces must be mechanically roughened prior to application of E60.
- Apply primer to total area to be treated by membrane including turn up at perimeter walls to 150mm
- Apply primer to window and door thresholds
- Downturn primer over perimeter edge onto vertical fascias to drip rail where applicable
3. Membrane System
Gripset BRW PFN - High performance self-adhering waterproof sheet membrane
Measure dimensions needed for the application and using a sharp knife or scissors, cut lengths required then re-roll sheet up in preparation for adhering to surface. The BRW-PFN sheet is to be adhered on all floor areas to be waterproofed, abutting edges of the walls of these areas. When applying BRW-PFN on sloped or graded surfaces, start by laying the membrane from the lowest point (nearest to drainage point) and working upwards to higher points (away from drains). Ensure overlaps formed are aiding drainage of water and not creating counter gradient overlaps. Over pipe penetrations, the BRW-PFN sheet is to be cut to enable the sheet to slide over penetrations. This is best achieved by measuring the pipe diameter and in the position where the sheet will cover the pipe, a cross "+" should be cut that is the pipe diameter length and sliding this over the pipe.
When laying the sheet into position, remove approximately 100-200mm of release paper from the rear butyl rubber side and tack this onto the surface. Continue to slowly remover the rear release paper while the sheet is being unrolled and remove any creases or air bubbles with a flat trowel, heavy roller, dry sponge or float to ensure the sheet is firmly bonded to the substrate. Ensure the sheet is well pressed ay overlaps, corners, edges and termination points.
Trim any of the loose membrane around the upturn of the pipe from the section where the cross "+" was formed ensuring the sheet is firmly bonded around the pipe/penetration.
All sheet joints must have a minimum 50mm overlap. All overlaps and junctions are to be coated centrally with 100mm wide coat of Gripset liquid membrane.
The use of protection boards are recommended to be used for following trades, avoid placing tools and equipment on exposed BRW-PFN sheets.
- Elastoproof B50 Joint Band - Elastic bond breaker joint band
- Prefabricated Corners - Prefabricated 90o and 270o corners used with the Elastic Joint Band as the system bond breaker
- Elastoproof Butyl Tape - Self-adhesive waterproof tape
- Elastoproof Butyl Squares - Self-adhesive butyl square for sealing floor wastes and leak control flanges
- Install Elastoproof Jointing Bands or Butyl tape and prefabricated corners to perimeter wall/floor junctions
- Install Elastoproof Joint bands or Butyl Tape over all structural sheeting abutments
- Install Elastoproof Joint Bands over all movement/expansion joints
- Install Elastoproof Butyl Squares over all floor wastes
- Detailing items to be fixed to the substrate by embedding into a liberal, wet coat of liquid membrane
- All sheet joints must have a minimum 50mm overlap. All overlaps and junctions are to be coated with 100mm wide of Gripset liquid membrane: 38FC or Xpress Multi Pro are recommended
5. Finishes Over BRW-PF
Pedestal Pavers: Coat BRW-PF with Gripset LS Roof Coat
Screeds: To be bonded with 11Y Slurry (wet on wet application)
Tile direct stuck: Polymer modified tile adhesives must be used for direct fixing of tiles over Gripset BRW PFN. All tiling to be carried out as per AS 3958.1 - 2007 "A Guide to Installation of Ceramic Tiles" Refer to Gripset Tile Adhesive Range.
Render: Polymer modified cement or acrylic render